你知道“開除”的英語是什么嗎?一起來看看《亂世佳人》的這個片段吧。
對話原文
What do we care if we were expelled from college?
我們才不在乎被學校開除呢
The war is gonna start any day.
就要打仗了
We would've left college anyhow.
反正我們得離開學校
War. Isn't it exciting, Scarlett?
哦 戰爭 多讓人激動啊
Do you know those Yankees actually want a war?
那些窮北佬真要打仗啊
We'll show 'em.
讓他們看看
Fiddle-dee-dee. War, war, war.
討厭 戰爭 戰爭 戰爭
This war talk's spoiling all the fun at every party this spring.
這個春天里每次聚會都要談論戰爭
I get so bored I could scream.
我煩得都要喊出來了
Besides, there isn't going to be any war.
再說 不會有戰爭的
Not gonna be any war?
你說不會有戰爭
Why, honey, of course there's going to be a war.
不會 親愛的 真的要打仗了
If either of you says war just once again, I'll go in the house and slam the door.
你們誰要是再說一句 戰爭我就進屋去把門關上
But, Scarlett, honey... Don't you want us to have a war?
可是 親愛的 你不要我們打仗嗎
Wait a minute, honey, please! We're sorry.
等一下 親愛的 我們錯了
Well... But remember I warned you.
好吧 別忘了 我警告過你們
I've got an idea.
我覺得
We'll talk about the Wilkes' barbecue at Twelve Oaks.
那我們談談十二橡樹衛爾科斯家的野餐會吧
That's a good idea. Aren't you eating barbecue with us?
好主意 和我們一起去野餐好嗎?
今日重點:
開除:expel。注意它的過去分詞要雙寫“l”。并且這句話中的if we were…用的是虛擬語氣,所以be動詞用的過去時
不管怎樣:anyhow。等同于anyway
美國北方人:Yankee
掃興:spoil。也可表示“溺愛;食物變質”
叫喊:scream
猛地關上:slam。slam the door,摔門
橡樹:oak
(來源:滬江英語)